Wednesday 2 June 2010

New Collection on sale May 2010

I am really inspired by the elegant woman of the 40s and 50s, and I love how hats were worn as part of an everyday outfit, rather than just a special occasion. Never needing an excuse to dress up hats varied from simple caps to elaborate turbans. After many years of researching into fashion of the war years it fascinated me to learn about fabric rations and how many woman renewed their hats by recycling old materials and adding trimmings.This is an aspect I try to reflect in my own designs, many of the fabrics used are old remnants and trims with beads and buttons I have found and collected along the way.
Each piece is a off one and I love how this allows it to have its own story, its own history. I'm working on some new point of sale graphics. Iv been doodling ideas for days now and Ive but the ball in motion for each to come with an Identity card telling the story of where the materials were found.


I like little touches like that, and hope you do too.


This is a sneak peek at my new collection that is available online and both in store at Between the Buttons vintage and the Customs House gallery.
Having originally started out with Alice band hair accessories I'm really pleased of how my designs and style have developed and after a lot of soul searching I really feel now my work reflects who I am as a designer, but is flexible enough to appeal to a wider audience.
They have attracted quite a following so far, new outlets as well as scouts for a well known high street retail company which shall remain nameless for now, but is super exciting!

Crazy to think that something I have made by hand in the comfort of my own room, fuelled by endless cups of tea and carrot cake, could be whisked up by one person and catapulted onto the main stage of the high street ... an exciting but daunting thought ... have to watch this space!!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment